[at-l] Trip Report

Art Cloutman Art at crystalacresnh.com
Tue Sep 29 08:46:37 CDT 2009

I had been planning most of the Summer for a 5
year reunion of my 2004 AT Thru hike with the
group of people hiked with me most.  Because we
often came into camp laughing and positive even
after a long tough day, another hiker nicknamed
us "The Happy Brigade".  She meant it in a
derogatory way but we adopted the name and I have
it on my address book so that I can easily write
to the entire group.

I had hopped to do a three day backpack from
Glencliff to Franconia Notch.  Part of the reason
for hiking this section was that I had persuaded
the group to slack from Kinsman Notch to
Franconia Notch in 2004 and it turned into near
disaster.  We started late and ran into rain and
heavy fog.  Footing became treacherous, the fog
shined the light back into our eyes when we ended
up night hiking.  We managed to borrow two cars
so half the group hiked northbound and half
southbound.  Te faster part of the group finished
around 10:30 PM then worried for the next 4 hours
about the last two hikers to come in around 2 in
the morning.  Anyway, I wanted to make up for
that mistake  and offer an opportunity to hike
the Kinsmans on a nice day.  Two issues conspired
to make that not possible.  The first issue was
that 3 members of the group could not make it
before Friday evening giving us only two days for
a three day hike.  And the other issue was the
prediction for a full day of rain on Sunday - the
last day of the hike.  So we changed our plans
and decided to hike up Mt Mooselauke on Saturday
to camp and Beaver Brook Shelter then have a
short hike Sunday morning to the parking lot in
Kinsman Notch.

We arrived at the parking area in Glencliff about
9 AM Saturday.  Not a cloud in the sky,
temperature around 65 degrees.  Perfect weather
for a hike above treeline.  We met a smiling Gigi
with her dog Bug Catcher heading south from
Katahdin on her journey to Springer Mountain.
She started on August 15th and had not deadline
for completing her hike.  She was very upbeat,
enjoying her hike, having a wonderful time on the
trail.  She just finished the Whites and was
heading to Welcome Hiker Hostel to pick up some
supplies - post office across the street.  And
then head on to get more mile in on this
wonderful hiking day.

We took our time heading up the hill, stopping
often to talk about our experiences from 5 years
ago and to get up to date on each other.  "Poky"
aka Eric Feeley has been doing graduate work on
environmental studies in Montana.  "Burnie" aka
Megan Conners is continuing her career as an
occupational therapist in Cleveland.  "Flava
Flave"  aka Katie McPhee is also working on her
master's degree in environmental studies but at
the University of Maine.  "Rainbow" aka Annie
Kiermaier  has started her own business in social
work with young children.   I go by the trail
name of "Gabby"  and most of you know that I am a
retired high school mathematics teacher.  We had
much to talk about.  And three out of the five
had not done much hiking  so were out of shape.
–There were other members of the group from time
to time but this group of 5 hiked as the "Happy
Brigade" for at least a thousand miles.  We have
become lifelong friends and think of one another
frequently.

We had incredible views from the crowded summit.
The nice weather convinced a lot of people to get
out there and hike.  We could see from the Green
Mountains of Vermont to the Presidential Range.
Mount Washington was easy to pick out to the
east.  The entire Franconia Ridge glowed in the
foreground.  It was easy to pick out Mt Mansfield
to the west and I believe I was able to identify
Jay Peak.  We persuaded someone to take our
picture.  After a relaxing lunch we headed two
miles down the trail to Beaver Brook Shelter.
There was a couple in the shelter with a tent.
They were taking up more than half the space
leaving room for only two more people.  I
politely advised them that the tent did not
belong in the shelter.  He explained that his
girlfriend was not experienced in backpacking and
was concerted about the critters.  She was
concerned about bugs and mice.  They took the
tent out of the shelter and set it up on a tent
pad.  While they were moving the tent two SOBO's
arrived from Eliza Brook Shelter.  Desperado and
Mozey left Katahdin on August 4th.  They are
taking their time heading to Georgia but have a
time limit because they are from the UK and have
a 6 month visa to remain in the US.  We had a lot
of fun talking with them.  They were a cute
couple.  Giving each other hugs a peck on the
cheek.  They seem well organized.  They had
reasonable sized packs and they knew they need to
pick up the pace to finish in their restricted
time period.  I wonder if it is possible to get
extensions on visas?  We had a little fire
Saturday night.  We told stories and recalled
incidents from 2004.  The Sobos had some nice
stories to tell of their experiences so far.

It was a cold night.  The temp at 4:00 PM was
only 45 degrees.  But a warm from was suppose to
arrive during the night.  It did arrive around
three in the morning with strong winds and heavy
rains.  We woke in the morning to a steady rain
and temps about 50 degrees.  We slept in not
leaving camp until 9 AM.  It was a difficult walk
down the wet rocks to Kinsman Notch.  All of the
wooden steps that are bolted to the rocks have
been replaced with pressure treaded lumber.  That
was very comforting.  It still took us a good
three hours to walk down in the rain.  We headed
into Lincoln for brunch at Peg's and then back to
my place on Crystal Lake.  Everyone commented
that because of the weather this shorter version
of our planned hike was perfect.  We enjoyed some
wonderful weather with 360 degree views and we
were reminded of how tough it could be when the
weather turned bad.

I hope we don't have to wait another 5 years to enjoy one anothers company.
--

Life is Good!!!
Art Cloutman