[at-l] Rescue at Rice Field Shelter

Mara Factor mfactor at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 07:19:25 CDT 2010

I'm pretty sure she meant Wilderness First Responder (WFR) training.  While
WFR is a great idea, it's a huge commitment, taking about 80 hours.  It's
also prohibitively expensive for many hikers at about $400.  (According tot
he SOLO web site.)

Wilderness First Aid (WFA) training, taking only 2 days, is a course most
hikers who spend a lot of time in the backcountry could find time and
resources to take.  It costs about $85.

I recommend WFA training.  It goes well beyond what is taught in urban First
Aid classes.  Rather than the golden hour, you're taught to deal with the
golden day, the longer timer period necessary for evacuation from the
backcountry.  And it doesn't start with the recommendation in emergencies to
yell "call 911."  Hmm, or at least, it didn't 11+ years ago when I took the
class.

Though my training was a long time ago and I haven't be recertified at all,
I do review my WFA materials from time to time and the training has come in
useful a surprising number of times.

Mara
Stitches, AT99

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor