[at-l] 1500 foot fall, accident & rescue White Mtns, near AT

RockDancer rockdancer97 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 8 09:21:01 CDT 2010

I got a few comments and questions in private email. I can't answer today but hope to get to them in the next few days.

Back in the late 1970's I took a fall on wet, slippery rock, at a place called Shining Rock on the side of Mt. Lafayette. In the first few seconds I shot through a line of small bushes and disappeared from sight of my hiking group. They thought I died. As it went I slid perhaps 200 feet, landed on my feet completely uninjured. I can't imagine sliding 1500 feet in a similar situation. That slide changed the way I walk, the way I look at trails, and the question "what would happen if?" is on my mind a lot of the time. That was a July hike if I remember correctly.

Arthur Gaudet (RockDancer)
Rockdancer97 at comcast.net
"The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon."