[at-l] 1500 foot fall, accident & rescue White Mtns, near AT

Victor Hoyt vnhoyt at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 19:02:07 CDT 2010

On Apr 7, 2010, at 4:00 PM, RockDancer wrote:

> Micros or ice creepers don't do the job. --RockDancer

Very true. I've hiked the whites many times, and in the winter, I always have a set of crampons tied to the pack. Even in the lower hills, I carry my set of four-pointers (instep crampons), in case I get to a really icy patch. However, though the ranger mentioned ice axes, relatively few people really know how to use them properly. I think perhaps crampons and ski poles might be better. If you don't know how to self-arrest, an ice axe is useless anyway.

vic