[at-l] 1500 foot fall, accident & rescue White Mtns, near AT

Victor Hoyt vnhoyt at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 16:40:40 CDT 2010

On Apr 9, 2010, at 12:04 AM, Leslie Booher wrote:

> So how do you self-arrest with hiking poles?  I have Lekis.  a'bear

The last time I did, I ended up with a very badly bent pole. But a safe me. :-)

I was not implying that one could self-arrest with poles. It is possible to stop a fall with them, if you catch it early; however, if you're sliding down something steep and icy, they're pretty useless. What I was trying to point out is that most people do not know the self-arrest technique, so poles are probably better because they give you better balance (in theory).

After thinking about this a bit, I did a web search and found this:

<http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/ski/ski-poles/whippet-self-arrest-pole/>

Nifty idea, and pretty good for hiking in places like the Whites, where you might encounter dangerous conditions unexpectedly. I foresee a sprained wrist, but hopefully on a survivor. With my luck, I'd poke my eye out with the darned thing.

vic