[at-l] 1500 foot fall, accident & rescue White Mtns, near AT

Mark Hudson mvhudson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 18:38:39 CDT 2010

I read someplace that essentially you have six feet to self arrest before
you're moving too fast to be successful at it.
Yes, I'm sure the article I was reading mentioned the steepness of the slope
and the hardness of the snow/-ice surface, but since it was several years
ago those details are asking a lot of my memory.

What it boils down to is that you had to be aware of the immediate dangers
and already in a prepared condition... ready to act immediately if something
went wrong. Blithely hiking along and then expecting the ice ax or hiking
poles to bail you out is expecting a lot.

I did read the article on avalanche training. Makes a lot of sense,
especially in the group dynamics / decision making aspects.

Skeeter