[at-l] Trip to Maine

Tenacious Tanasi tenacious_tanasi at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 27 12:36:12 CDT 2010

OMGoodness!!! Thank you to everyone that provided such wonderful ideas!!!  :)

When Acadia came up, Michael and I both readily agreed that THIS was what we wanted to do.  (AND it's a heck of a lot cheaper than what he had initially suggested.  (I will definitely miss that lovely little B&B I discovered.)  Although he's a little hesitant about not having a shower right at his disposal....I think I might have forgot to mention that hot water may not be available at this particular campground.  Hmmm.....LOL  :))   We got so excited that we even went so far as to set dates and make a reservation at the campground.  Now all we need is him home, food, (already have TONS of hiking, biking gear) and we are set to go!

To those that have invited us to your homes, a huge thank you!  Right now we're going to play with itineraries and such to see how it plays out.  We've tinkered with the idea of a 2 day drive up the coast and 2 days back down with 5 days inbetween.  (We have decided to delay the trip to see the Statue of Liberty for a later date to combine with city activities we want to go do.)

I love the idea of a road trip for the sake of the road trip along with finding those kewl little out of the way places.  With taking our camping, hiking, biking gear along, and our desire to see the coastline up close and personal, we're definitely driving. (20 hrs at a minimum on either end!)

Here is a compiled list of things to do and places to go that everyone provided.  If you think of anything else, please let me know.

Nubble, Portland Head lamp, etc lighthouses are still a top priority!  :)

Freeport Thrift stores
Kittery Trading Post
LL Bean sounds really kewl.  I have never been to one.  BUT, that thrift shop sounds like a definite stop.  :)
Ogonquit, Camden, Rockport, Bar Harbor

Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster in South Freeport.   http://www.harraseeketlunchandlobster.com/
Bob's Clam Hut in Kittery http://www.bobsclamhut.com/Basic, delicious, real.
The A1 Diner in Gardner http://www.a1diner.com/Ecletic, surprising, often out-of-this-world.
West Street Cafe in Bar Harbor
Moody's Diner, on Rt. 1, in Waldoboro

Oceanarium (Lobsters!)
Cadillac Mountain
Bangor (Katahdin and the AT)
New Hampshire -- The White Mountains and Mt. Washington
Tenacious Tanasi