[at-l] NJ/NY Section

Ofahoma ofahoma at aol.com
Tue Aug 24 15:04:04 CDT 2010

Greetings one and all:
?
I am Fat Man Walking (no, not that one. I am actually the original having obtained my trail name from my son in 2000. Lont before that imposter took the name in his hike to lose weight several years later). But, I digress.
?
I am in the midst of a 20 year plan to section hike the AT. Started 11 years ago and have now made the PA/NJ state line at DWG. Next year, I will tackle the NJ/NY section and I?have a couple of questions about that section for the group.?
?
1) I have?that section referred to?as the "Deli Run" as there seems to be, particularly in NY, a deli or small grocery with a deli at virtually every road crossing. I was?wondering in your experences, what were the good?ones, bad ones, and were you able to substantially lessen your food bags during this part of your hikes??Or, otherwise save weight?
?
2) I?have heard of a section in this section in?NY referred to as the "Agony Grind." Where is this exactly or is it the whole?NY section? I?thought that NY calmed down after Bear Mt/Hudson River.
?
Your input will be greatly appreciated. I will hang up now and listen.
?
Thanks and have a great hike!!!!
?
Fat Man?