[at-l] White, magic report

RockDancer rockdancer97 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 25 12:12:17 CDT 2010

I was at the Crawford Notch trailhead from Saturday to Monday, about 48 hours. Not many hikers passed by because of cool & wet conditions. The high temp on Sunday was 50 F making it more difficult to sit at the trailhead than to go for a hike! Many of the hikers were holed-up at the huts & hostels so only half of the expected hikers came by. The weather is already improved in the Whites so the hikers should be on the move again.

Phat Chap, Uncle Walt and Bag o'Tricks stopped by for a visit, cheering me up considerably. I promised to swing by Glencliff to see them at Hikers Welcome on Monday and was glad I did.

The hikers, all northbound were:
Jason
Evan (aka Bourbon)
Slider
Michael J. Fox (aka MJ)
Red
Master Chief
McGyver
Ron from Camden
Toothpick & Little Aspen (did 17+ miles from Garfield Shelter in wet conditions!)
Powder and his dog Russel
Backwards
T-C
Stryder (the 2nd one this year)

Over at Kinsman Notch I gave a ride to Waddles and Kpin, section hikers.

At Glencliff, in addition to 3 I mentioned, were Mala and Lion King! While chatting with them 2 hikers came in: Bulldog (Mike Hanson) & Hitchcock. I went over the maps for Glencliff to Crawford and gave them more details about how the huts operate. Bulldog says he does a basic 8 miles each day, sometimes as much as 10. They were planning to take Tuesday off and then head up Moosilauke today, Wednesday. I can vouch for how blind Mike is compare with Zero-Zero from a couple years ago. Mike is a bit older than Z-Z, uses a white cane around the hostel. I believe he is still leading himself along the trail when he can, and accepts help from others as needed. Hitchcock is hiking with him everyday and is documenting the hike.

Arthur Gaudet (RockDancer)
Rockdancer97 at comcast.net
"The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon."