[at-l] First signs of fall

bror8588 at aol.com bror8588 at aol.com
Wed Aug 25 13:22:18 CDT 2010

Each year at Hapgood Pond (National Forest Park in the Green Mountains) in Peru, Vermont, there is one tree that signals the end of summer and the hope of Autumn.  The leaves are a bright red in the midst of a green forest that surrounds the Pond.  Frost is not necessary for this phenomenon but six weeks (more or less), frost arrives and Autumn gets into full swing.  One camper at Hapgood Pond, knows it is time to leave when ice forms in his bucket -- just a thin layer of ice is all that is necessary -- and by this time the nights get that chilly Fall feeling and mornings are definitely cool enough to wear that flannel shirt.  This is a good time of year for ice has not formed yet, and there is still time to enjoy the warmth of the sun.  This is a good time but that does not mean that other seasons are not appreciated.

Jack Skylander