[at-l] Newfound Gap Road---

Linda Patton lpatton at fsu.edu
Wed Aug 25 17:38:09 CDT 2010

> Just read in yesterday's USA Today...that Newfound Gap Road is closed
> because of a rock slide this past week-end.... You might be able to reach
> it from the NC side.  a'bear

I think it was closed on the NC side, actually, and is now open.  >From the
newspapers:

"The Associated Press • August 23, 2010
CHEROKEE — U.S. 441 through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park is
back open after being shut down by a rock slide. The highway was reopened late
this morning, reports WBIR-TV in Knoxville.  Park spokesman Bob Miller said
the slide affected both lanes of the highway — also known as Newfound Gap
Road — about six miles north of Cherokee near the Collins Creek picnic area.
All lanes were closed on the North Carolina side from the Smokemont
Campground, he said.  The rocks came down about 7 p.m. Sunday. No one was
injured, and no vehicles were hit, Miller said."

~~ eArThworm, the List Librarian

Visit my website at http://booksforhikers.com
"Better to be lost in the woods than in a maze of cubicles…"