[at-l] ten

Mara Factor mfactor at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 08:58:03 CDT 2010

I would love to see this work for you.  I've had similar problems with
other gear and have just replaced it rather than repaired it.  Let us
know if this ends up working for you - or not.

There is at least one possible problem to think about before trying this...

Any part of the fabric that still has the old coating may prevent the
wash in stuff from filling in that portion of the fabric.  So, if you
don't get all of the old stuff off before washing in the new stuff, as
the old stuff continues to peel, it'll open up new areas of fabric
that won't be waterproof.  Or, maybe it would just fill-in from the
"other" side of the fabric and still work, anyway?

Can you peel or scrape off the old stuff before washing in the new?

Also, I have no idea how different fabrics work, but I know some
stretch over time and if the old bonded stuff was keeping it from
stretching, the fabric may now start stretching (or be stretched) too
much for the new waterproofing to fill in.  Maybe someone else on the
list will pipe up with fabric info?...  Bueller!?!

Best of luck,

Mara
Stitches, AT99

Visit my Travels and Trails web site at: http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor