[at-l] ten

Tom McGinnis sloetoe at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 30 09:49:47 CDT 2010

--- On Mon, 8/30/10, Mara Factor <mfactor at gmail.com> wrote:

> There is at least one possible problem to think about
> before trying this...
> Any part of the fabric that still has the old coating may prevent the
> wash in stuff from filling in that portion of the fabric.  So, if you
> don't get all of the old stuff off before washing in the new stuff, as
> the old stuff continues to peel, it'll open up new areas of fabric
> that won't be waterproof.
###  Tried with two old bivy sacs. Did NOT work -- at ALL. Flaked off in bigger pieces, even faster than the original. I surmised much as Mara forecast -- the original fabric was not clean enough -- some of the old coating remained after it *appeared* to come off, and would not allow the new polyurethane to seat. RATS.

> Or, maybe it would just fill-in from the
> "other" side of the fabric and still work, anyway?
### I will admit that I only tried one side.....

> Can you peel or scrape off the old stuff before washing in the new?
### I wonder about, like, maybe an alcohol treatment. (On the fabric, you!)

porousstilltoe