[at-l] I love morning!

Tom McGinnis sloetoe at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 3 10:04:21 CST 2010

--- On Fri, 12/3/10, Felix J <AThiker at smithville.net> wrote:
> why do you assume that boots in the bag means no sleep?  I
> was generally in my bag 12 hours a day at that point. So, I
> was gettin' plenty of rest.  (and, the fact is, I only did
> the boots in the bag thing a night or two on that
> hike....and, maybe only a night or two since)

### Well, being a thermo-weenie *and* being a weight weenie, I have the smallest (and lightest), warmest bag I could find. That means little room for all the extras before I start pushing things into the sides, and collapsing the insulation into cold spots. (And losing stuff.) As well, while I (personally) can sleep *on* pretty much anything and remain comfortable, having things *poke* me all the time -- especially when I'm turning over throughout the (as you noted) 12-hour night -- just gets way old. For me, anyway. (I mean, I really sleep well -- I think I'm spoiled -- and dig on that quiet time, horizontal time, listen-to-the-breathing time, listen-to-the-wind-whistling-through-the-barren-landscape time..... Feeling all cozy and warm being safely ensconced in my fleecy, downy cocoon... Yeahhhh. Sweet. DON'T like giving that up....)

wanttoheadbacktobedtoe

OH! And the other thing! Bringing wet clothes into a winter bag! BAD IDEA. As the moisture hits the exterior, it changes from mobile vapor to frozen-in-place ice, and adds weight (and wipes out loft) with every evening. If I had a vapor barrier in use, that would go away, but still.....