[at-l] Quilts for the summertime AT

hetchhetchyman at aol.com hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Sat Dec 4 18:30:34 CST 2010

Hello Everybody!
I am starting a thru hike of the AT NoBo around march 15th. I have a 20 degree sleeping bag
to start with(I even have a zero degree bag but it seems unlikely I will want that) but it seems
I might want to switch to a lighter sleep system for the height of summer on the AT. I am
thinking Damascus would be the place to swap out my bag.
Well I have never been back east. I have heard it is much warmer and more humid than
either the PCT or CDT.
My question for the list is: If you had a choice between a system rated at 45 degrees or one at 30 degrees,
which one would be more appropriate for the summertime AT?
I have a multitude of options and I have been making everyone crazy on Whiteblaze etc
so I though I would bring my madness here as well.
In particular I am now looking at the Mountain Laurel Designs Spirit Quilts.
They come at a subjective rating of 30 or 45 degrees.
I don't have a synthetic sleep system in my "arsenal" so the AT seems like a
good candidate to try it out on.
I am not spamming.. but here is the link to those quilts: http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=133
I realize a lot has been written everywhere on the topic but
I find it so much more interesting to get live, up to date, responses from people.
Thank you in advance for your thoughts on this subject.

-Iceaxe