[at-l] Quilts for the summertime AT

Amy Forinash amy at forinash.net
Sun Dec 5 07:18:09 CST 2010

On Dec 5, 2010, at 2:18 AM, Mara Factor wrote:

> As for the summer bag, I wouldn't bother going synthetic though.  Synthetics just weigh more, don't pack as small, aren't comfortable for as wide ranging temperatures as down, and don't keep their loft for nearly as long.  Just be prepared to keep the quilt or bag dry  during the day when hiking as well as at night when camping.

I.e. double bag it.  Those dry sacks *aren't* in the context of a thruhike.  I kept the drysack I was using but started putting it inside a trash compactor bag.  The combo kept my sleeping bag dry in firehose-quality rain.

> FWIW, I used a silk sleeping bag liner to extend the temperature range of my bags while on my thruhike and to help keep the bags clean.  It's much easier to clean the liner than a down (or synthetic) bag.

I tried the liner thing for a while, but I always got tangled up.  Instead I bought a pair of cotton pajama bottoms in Erwin this year, and paired it with a thin long-sleeve shirt I already had.  I wore them nearly every night.  They protected my sleeping bag fairly well.  At the end of five months of hiking it is reasonably good smelling and still lofting.

-amy
Mrs Joy 2010