[at-l] Quilts for the summertime AT

Frank Looper nightwalker.at at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 07:24:51 CST 2010

Dry bags work great.  You just have to keep up with the holes. I have one
that looks like an LSD checkerboard inside.

But 2,000 miles at once may be different than spread over a couple or so
years. No way I could know!
On Dec 5, 2010 8:18 AM, "Amy Forinash" <amy at forinash.net> wrote:

> On Dec 5, 2010, at 2:18 AM, Mara Factor wrote:
>

>> As for the summer bag, I wouldn't bother going synthetic though.
Synthetics just weigh more, don't pack as small, aren't comfortable for as
wide ranging temperatures as down, and don't keep their loft for nearly as
long. Just be prepared to keep the quilt or bag dry during the day when
hiking as well as at night when camping.

> I.e. double bag it. Those dry sacks *aren't* in the context of a thruhike.
I kept the drysack I was using but started putting it inside a trash
compactor bag. The combo kept my sleeping bag dry in firehose-quality rain.

>> FWIW, I used a silk sleeping bag liner to extend the temperature range of
my bags while on my thruhike and to help keep the bags clean. It's much
easier to clean the liner than a down (or synthetic) bag.

> I tried the liner thing for a while, but I always got tangled up. Instead
I bought a pair of cotton pajama bottoms in Erwin this year, and paired it
with a thin long-sleeve shirt I already had. I wore them nearly every night.
They protected my sleeping bag fairly well. At the end of five months of
hiking it is reasonably good smelling and still lofting.