[at-l] Quilts for the summertime AT

Ofahoma ofahoma at aol.com
Tue Dec 7 09:23:54 CST 2010

I have been a summer time section hiker on the AT for the past 11
years. I started with a 45 degree bag in the early years but after
sweating profusely at night, I finally graduated to a fleece bag liner
 from REI. That's all. There have been a few nights when I got cool but,
typically, this has been all I required. Now, let me add that I am a
polar bear and sweat during the height of winter. So, I am a little
more hot natured (at least that is what my wife tells me) than most.
YMMV.

I have also heard that you may want to hang onto your warmer sleep gear
past Damascus. Wouldn't know where to tell you where to ditch it but,
in 2009, when I was hiking through the Shennies, it got down into the
upper 40's one night. So, it will still get cold a few more weeks past
when you should go through Damascus.

Also, I am a hammocker. So, in addition to the bag liner, I use a quilt
below. For Christmas, I am getting a No Sniveller from Jacks R Better
to go along with my Shenendoah quilt that I use as an underquilt. This
will give me two under quilt options for the cooler nights plus, I will
use my bag liner to sleep on top of with the other quilt as a top
cover. Should be better equipped for the cooler nights. Not that they
were bad particularly, just a tad cool when I could have been more
comfortable.

Have a great hike. I am jealous of all thru hikers who manage to
continue to get paid while taking 6 months off from work to thru.
Haven't figured out how to convince my boss that this makes sense. So,
section I must.

Cody, Is that you?

Peace!

There's a Fat Man in the bath tub with the Blues.

Fat Man Walking

GA - ME on the 17 year plan.