[at-l] "There's a Bug on My Plate" ...or... how eArThworm could be a cannibal

Mara Factor mfactor at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 11:29:01 CST 2010

Wow!  How timely!

I was just putting together a page about food and cultural biases for my web
site.  I still have work to do on it but those who are interested can read
about more than just bugs at:

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor/WeirdFood.html

There's no link from anywhere else on my web site just yet but I hope to
finish this page soon.  In the meantime, you might find some interesting
tidbits there though I have more to add like the story of the grasshopper
that got away at the  festival in Thailand where large woks of them were
being fried up for locals that obviously enjoyed crunching on them.

For what it's worth, of all the bug eating options I've seen (grasshoppers,
grubs, cockroach-like bugs, tarantulas, and more, I never saw any that were
cooked beyond recognition of their original shape.  Mostly they were just
fried up and eaten from bags like we might munch on a small bag of peanuts.

Hmm, time for lunch...

Mara
Stitches, AT99