[at-l] Snowshoes?

Ken Bennett bennett.ken at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 14:31:01 CST 2010

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Frank Looper <nightwalker.at at gmail.com>wrote:

> I need a recommendation for snowshoes. Light and cheap would be nice, but
> built-in crampons or similar and the ability to handle powder is more so.

Hey, Frank,

I think that 'shoes that can handle climbing icy stuff (aggressive crampons)
and 'shoes that can handle powder (large with lots of floatation) might not
be the same shoes.

My wife got a pair of the mid-priced Atlas
'shoes<http://www.rei.com/product/805219>last winter. They are pretty
much middle-of-the-road snowshoes, with decent
crampons and floatation. I think they were around $120 on sale. I got mine
several years ago from REI Outlet for <$50, they are big Tubbs snowshoes
that can carry me and my gear, but they can't climb worth anything.

I've seen good reviews of the MSR Lightning Ascent
snowshoes<http://www.rei.com/product/805326>as being able to handle
steep snow and still carry a load, but they are
$300. You can get add-on tails that increase floatation.

Happy (snowy) trails!

Ken