[at-l] Snowshoes?

L. Clayton Parker l.clayton.parker at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 21:08:10 CST 2010

Mt Mitchell is 20 or so miles from the Appalachian Trail  northeast of
Hot Springs. I attempted a summit in February of this year. The
"official" snow depth was 60 inches, all "powder". I did not make it. In
the south we don't cut branches for 15 to 20 feet above the trail, since
we don't normally have to deal with tons of snow. I could not find the
trail for the last mile. The branches that were supposed to be over my
head were in fact IN the snow, my 33 inch snow shoes were postholing 4
feet into the snow and still not hitting bottom. Took me over an hour to
go half a mile.  Ohh, and forget about blazes, they were under the snow
somewhere.

The funny part is, I had asked a local outfitter about places to go
snowshoeing in the fall and he had laughed and said I probably wouldn't
get enough snow....

Lee I Joe