[at-l] dire tea doesn't

Felix J AThiker at smithville.net
Fri Dec 31 08:54:36 CST 2010

12/30/98
I made good time to Cold Spring Shelter. Again, it was too
cold to stop anywhere. It was 15 degrees at the shelter,
according to one of the college students that were taking up
far more than their share of the room. I ate a quick snack
on the table next to the shelter, and was on my way. It
didn't snow or rain any on this day, but it never did get
above 20º. I ate lunch inside the restroom at Wayah Bald.
There were lots of dayhikers out on this day. As I neared
Winding Stair
Gap, I made a deal with myself that if somebody was at the
parking lot and they offered me a ride, I'd take it. I was
thinking it was time for another series of showers. Before I
even got to the road, a woman offered me a night at her house.
(Well, her husbandido was standing there, too). "Do you have
a shower?"...

They took me to a town somewhere far from the trail. I think
the place they lived was called 'The Highlands'.  I just know
it seemed like I was a long way from the Trail.  They were
very pleasant folks. After we got to their house and I was
carrying
my gear in, the woman had gotten some towels out (for the
shower) and as she handed it to me she said "Do you have
shampoo?"
That was one of the funniest questions I got asked on the
whole hike.

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98