[at-l] Hiking w/ grandkids (was: Marooned)

EHamilton imagainst_the_wind at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 2 20:46:12 CST 2010

Thanks, everyone who's responded. Guess I shouldn't make future thru-hike plans for Abbie w/o consulting her :-)  She does very well. She's on grade level in regular first grade at the right age. She understands that last year Grandma hiked a long, long way for weeks and weeks with a big backpack. She wants to go backpacking when the weather turns warm. She loves sleeping in a tent. I've done that with her before, in the backyard. I think she could hike a couple miles to a campsite. I'm going to push for it. BTW, Franken Looper, she also has a great sense of humor. She's always been a practical joker, and lately her jokes are going verbal. Very wry. She's very perceptive but it's hard for her to verbalize, since her speech is difficult.

We also have a teenage (14) grandson in Columbus, OH. I'm trying to interest him in doing a section of the Buckeye Trail. Or maybe come visit us (western MD) and we'll go down to Harper's Ferry and do Maryland, We could make it in 5 days. He's interested but his parents are hesitant. I say, hell, let him go backpacking for a few days with his grandmother, for petesake.

His 11-yo sister isn't that interested in hiking. She's a gymnast, and unfortunately has been laid up with a bum knee for a few months. She's going to have a long comeback and I doubt she'd want or be able to do a long hike. She's just dying to get back on that beam and vault. Poor kid.

MacGyver

From: "nightwalker.at at gmail.com" nightwalker.at at gmail.com

And most Down's kids are more high-function than most autistic kids. Please note the generalization!

Downs is a defect in the 8th chromome pair. My baby-sister-niece has tri-some 8 disorder, which is similar. She is moderately high-function, but not as high as most Down's kids. She has the sense of humor of a Catskills comedian. She was not supposed to live past two, then 12. She will be 22 on the 3rd! My life would be much emptier without her, and I thank God that we have socialized medicine AT LEAST for disabled and elderly folks! She would not be alive without it. Whoever wants to yah-yah can do so elsewhere or politely shove it!

Franken "ReallyDon'tCareWhatY'allThinkOnThisOne" Looper

(Not you, Ginny. I always care what you think! And ol' War Eagle there, your other half. <G>)