[at-l] Dissing the ATC....

Carla & Dave Hicks carla_dave_hicks at verizon.net
Sun Feb 14 14:00:55 CST 2010

I can't speak for others on the list but the Appalachian Trail Conservancy is
not the Appalachian Trail Conference, which I started working with in the late
'50s.

The Conference was an organization of volunteer trail clubs that coordinated
solutions to common concerns of the member clubs.  It was a true volunteer
organization.

Following the influx of Federal money and the increased role of the NPS, the
Conservancy has become a top down organization of professionals (We know more
than any volunteers, we are professionals.) focused on raising/following
money.  Some seem to see the AMC (Appalachian Money Club) as the way of the
future.

They may be right.  The days of true volunteer participation may be a thing of
the past.  Maybe, the only future is the way of many charities and other
private nonprofit organization -- paid people directing paid people spending
money raised (for the most part) by paid people, w/ volunteer helping around
the edge with fundraising (We have volunteers standing by to take your
pledge.).

As always, YMMV

Chainsaw