[at-l] In defense......

Rosalind Suit rosalind.suit at verizon.net
Mon Feb 15 03:24:43 CST 2010

Toey,  (If I may be so bold as to be this intimate....)

You said:  And it's not "dissing" if it's true.
Ah.....you are looking for the Truth?   Well, now......

You said:  But the ATC is about the ATC, not about the Trail (nor, for that matter, about the volunteers).
I disagree:  I am the ATC....and I am a volunteer.  And I am about the Trail.  I pays my dues and I gets to speak.

You said:  "Make-work" projects -- missions like "a uniform, graded trail from terminus to terminus" -- bridging every stinking little stream or wetness from Georgia to Maine -- no "when full, pls send this to Joe_Hiker, Main St. OH.".... blah blah blahblah blah. That's the sort of thing -- and just one dimension

If you are quoting from an ATC publication or meeting regarding a mission or project,  please cite it.  The idea (joke) of paving the trail was bandied about a few years back by mischief makers and some took it seriously....and have remnants of that anger still lingering.  Get over it.  Anyone with more than a few miles on the AT under their belt should know that that is perfectly ludicrous.  There may be small portions of the AT that are currently paved....or may yet be paved....and there are places that may yet be made "accessible."  Nit-picking.  Irrelevant. The Trail is much bigger than that....and local control will NOT protect it (read CANNOT),  nor preserve it as a whole..... (that is what the Conservancy name change is about....and many have lingering anger over that change, too).

Tell me how local control can accomplish things like Bear Mountain, the PA underpass on Wertzville Road, or protect the portions of the AT  now under threat of major dislocation or intrusion from plans for the future electricity grid.....or the repairs needed in the areas of major rock slides in the South?  You think "local" can protect the Trail?  Local has a part....but can't carry the whole load.

I don't understand your ...."when full, pls send to...."  It seems to me that (dimensionally), your argument is rather flat. It's another "in the good ole days we...." argument that holds no water.  There is plenty of local as well as regional and national involvement.  If the local work is thin....perhaps it needs more members, and more volunteering.  The last time I was on the Trail there were plenty of streams to cross. There were also bog walks to protect sensitive areas. (local work).  There is a large study going on called the Mega-Transect ....local but not local.  There is an ATC program of reaching into the future through the classrooms ....local, but more than local. Who else is actively involved in teaching the young about the Trail....and all that is there?  I don't see a lot of it on this forum, or White Blaze, or any of the backpacking forums, either.

You think the ATC is about the ATC and not the Trail...??  Take another look, my friend.  And if I seem aggressive or offensive, I plead snow-madness,  but I am on the offense.....(and offended) because tonight we are supposed to get more !!  <G>

Rosie/mdhiker