[at-l] In defense......

Marsha Lee atrailhiker at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 15 05:02:09 CST 2010

Bravo.....and applaud !

Back to lurkin.

Marsha

From: rosalind.suit at verizon.net
To: sloetoe at yahoo.com; at-l at backcountry.net
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 04:24:43 -0500
Subject: [at-l] In defense......

Toey,  (If I may be so bold as to be this
intimate....)

You said:  And it's not "dissing" if it's true.

Ah.....you are
looking for the Truth?   Well, now......

You said:  But the ATC is about the ATC, not about the Trail
(nor, for that matter, about the volunteers).
I disagree:  I am the ATC....and I am a
volunteer.  And I am about the Trail.  I pays my dues and I gets
to speak.

You said:
"Make-work" projects -- missions like "a uniform, graded trail from terminus
to terminus" -- bridging every stinking little stream or wetness from Georgia to
Maine -- no "when full, pls send this to Joe_Hiker, Main St. OH.".... blah blah
blahblah blah. That's the sort of thing -- and just one
dimension

If you are quoting from an ATC publication or
meeting regarding a mission or project,  please cite it.  The idea
(joke) of paving the trail was bandied about a few years back by mischief
makers and some took it seriously....and have remnants of that anger still
lingering.  Get over it.  Anyone with more than a few miles on the AT
under their belt should know that
that is perfectly ludicrous.  There may be small portions of the AT
that are currently paved....or may yet be paved....and there are places that may
yet be made "accessible."  Nit-picking.  Irrelevant. The Trail is much
bigger than that....and local control will NOT protect it (read
CANNOT),  nor preserve it as a
whole..... (that is what the Conservancy
name change is about....and many have lingering
anger over that change, too).

Tell me how local control can accomplish things
like Bear Mountain, the PA underpass on Wertzville Road, or protect the portions
of the AT  now under threat of major dislocation or intrusion from plans
for the future electricity grid.....or the repairs needed in the areas of major
rock slides in the South?  You think "local" can protect the Trail?
Local has a part....but can't carry the whole load.

I don't understand your ...."when full, pls send
to...."  It seems to me that (dimensionally), your argument is rather
flat. It's another "in the good ole days we...." argument that holds no
water.  There is plenty of local as
well as regional and national involvement.  If the local work is
thin....perhaps it needs more members, and more volunteering.  The last time I was on the Trail there were plenty of
streams to cross. There were also bog walks to
protect sensitive areas. (local work).  There is a large study going on
called the Mega-Transect ....local but not local.  There is an ATC program
of reaching into the future through the classrooms ....local, but more than
local. Who else is actively involved in teaching the young about the
Trail....and all that is there?  I don't see a lot of it on this forum, or
White Blaze, or any of the backpacking forums, either.

You think the ATC is about the ATC and not the
Trail...??  Take another look, my friend.  And if I seem aggressive or
offensive, I plead snow-madness,  but I am on the offense.....(and offended) because tonight we are supposed to get more !!  <G>

Rosie/mdhiker