[at-l] snow!

Frank Looper nightwalker.at at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 13:16:15 CST 2010

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 9:48 PM, Amy Forinash <amy at forinash.net> wrote:

> I'm starting to think I'm going to need snowshoes, or at least my instep crampons, when I start my hike.

It is concerning, isn't it? I'm carrying instep crampons. I'm also
working on a very light hammocking setup that will be cozy down to at
least 10F. Maybe even 0F.

I've got my ENO Single down to 11.5 oz without webbing. I got a
Pacific Outdoor Ether Thermo 6 air mattress. Supposedly, 6 is the R
number. Just got a cheap WallyWorld closed cell foam pad for cutting
up and making side pads out of. Will only need 36" x 7" on each side.
Ordered materials to make a Winter hammocking tarp. Similar to Dave
Womble's, but with a little better coverage.

For the first time, I'll be able to hammock in the Winter with the
same or less weight than tenting. I've been working towards that for
years and years.

When bug season comes, I've got a Byer Moskito hammock in reserve.
Can't wait. Supposedly most of the advantages of the Hennessey with
none of the downside. Including cost and weight. It should be here
Monday.

If I don't finish the AT this year, it may be awhile. My dad and wife
are getting less healthy all the time. I've got a fire in me to do
this that I don't ever remember having before. Maybe because of the
"now or (almost) never" aspect.

So scrooge it. Snow or no snow, and God willing, I'm leaving mid-March.

Early AM I'm leaving on a gentle 3-day to test new gear setup and find
out if the cast helped the tendons. Man, I hope so. Next on that foot
is surgery, and it's a painful one. They use lithotripsy to damage the
tendons even more, and the healing process makes scar tissue. Why
couldn't I have plain old PF like everyone else? Grrr. :-)

Night-and-Day Walker a.k.a. FrankenLooper