[at-l] Cold. Gonna get colder.

Jim Bullard jim.bullard at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 10:42:40 CST 2010

Well Jim what I saw in his paper was a batch of allegations, basically
saying the opposite of most of I've been reading about climate change,
without a single source to back up what he saying. No references, no links,
no charts, no data, just "they're wrong, I'm an expert and I say so". The
basis for his authority? He has a PhD and is an IPCC reviewer. It takes very
little effort to find that his area of expertise is oil exploration and
equally little to find that he is one (1) of 2500 IPCC draft reviewers.
Given those facts I'd like to see more than just his say-so to throw out
what the reports I've read (including the IPCC reports) are saying.

And exactly why is it "sliming" him to point out that he spent his career in
oil exploration, not climate study? It is a simple fact.

I fully expect that there is and will be disagreement on climate change,
even among the IPCC 3800 or so lead authors, contributing authors and
reviewers, but when I see a rebuttal by just one of the reviewers that
stands in stark contrast to the majority I have to wonder where he's coming
from. If a career in oil exploration is a more appropriate background for
judging climate change data in your estimation than the majority of the
other scientists involved then I can see why you would accept his view over
the others. It is not a background that trumps the majority in my
estimation. It is a minority POV.

I find in 'interesting' Jim that you quote his credentials as a geologist
(there are many types of geologists with very different specialties) as
evidence of his expertise yet in the next breath dismiss those who are
climatologists. Their credentials don't count? You also assume that I know
nothing of the topic. Like you I am a self learner and I don't broadcast to
the list all that I know. I know enough to look at a the source of contrary
statements and ask "Is where this person coming from coloring his/her
opinion?".

FWIW I don't believe everything I read from Al Gore & company but I also
don't believe everything contrarians say in dismissal of global warming,
especially when it is not accompanied by evidence. You say that it is all
backed up by evidence and I should accept your word for it that Dr.
Gerhard's word is better than the majority. Sorry. I need better than that.
The polar ice cap *is* melting. Whether man is the cause and to what degree
is open to debate and I'm reading/listening but "I'm an expert and I say so"
is not evidence. YMMV

Jim Bullard
http://jims-ramblings.blogspot.com/
http://www.photoshelter.com/c/jim_bullard