[at-l] AT interactive map & topo dataset

RockDancer rockdancer97 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 10 10:52:55 CST 2010

Here's something I came across this morning, I met Hazard & Spoon this past summer in Crawford Notch while doing trail magic.

See http://www.mountainsunderfoot.com/atblog/the-trail/

The website has a selection of videos, one is of the descent of Beaver Brook Trail (in the region between Mt. Moosilauke & Kinsman Notch, NH) that nicely shows the proximity of the waterfalls, the steepness of the trail and the wooden steps installed to help hikers. What's missing is the occasional rebar for a hands-on descent.

Kinnickinnic, you should watch this one!

If you go to the "Trail" tab there's a neat interactive topo map where you can navigate from Maine to Georgia, and browse literally every mile of the trail. Shelters are marked.

My question is this: where does this come from? I'm interested in acquiring topo datasets for the AT for analysis purposes and the only one that comes to mind is the ATC set. The map here is crediting "Map data 2009 Google" but I'm a bit confused here. Does Google supply such topo information for use & if so how would I access the information. I'm willing to explore the different Google websites but I thought this community might know something and give me a leg up. Thanks!

Arthur Gaudet (RockDancer)
Rockdancer97 at comcast.net
"The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon."