[at-l] Katahdin, GPS and "spirited discussions"

Jim and_or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 14 10:25:49 CST 2010

> A machine think for me? Tools don't think, Jim. The man holding the tool has to do that.

Mmmmm - if one doesn't have the "tool" in ones hand, then one has to "think" in order to

perform the function that the "tool" performs.  That's when one finds out if their "thinker"

is still operational.  Think CDT or Utah Canyon country or the Bob Marshall Wilderness or

the Canadian Rockies. Look up Gros Morne NP in Canada - some of their trails require that

one demonstrate sufficient ability with map and compass (and carry them) whether one

carries a GPS or not - before being allowed access to the trailheads. Haven't hiked those

trails yet - gotta go back there. It's beautiful country even if the weather does sometimes

suck.

Hmm - define "tool".

Notice - I wouldn't tell you to leave it home.  I'll just tell you that if I carried one, I'd have

to shoot myself for senility.  But that's "me".

OTOH - there's at least one trail that I recommend hikers carry one if they're gonna hike it.

BTW, I'm glad you carry maps.  They're sooo useful - and interesting.

We'll be headed for the Ruck in about an hour.

Walk softly,

Jim

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/