[at-l] Horse Plaque---

bluetrail at aol.com bluetrail at aol.com
Thu Jan 14 13:31:20 CST 2010

Here in Florida, when horses graze they tend to get a fair amount of sand along with the grass.  The sand causes their teeth to wear unevenly, creating little hooks that can lacerate their tongues or the insides of the cheeks.  Therefore, every so often the vet has to come and "float" their teeth.  Floating basically means that the vet files down their teeth with a big rasp.  They don't react as if they're in pain, so I guess it doesn't hurt.

It's not difficult to get them to open their mouths.  The tricky part is grabbing the tongue and holding it to one side while the vet does the filing.

The sand also causes impactions in the horse's gut.  So every so often, good horsemen feed a hot bran mash mixed with a little sorghum and a lot of oil.  Usually we feed this a few days after the horse has been wormed.  The oily bran mash gets rid of the internalized dead worms and the sand.

And I have NO idea how to make this hiking related.------------Except, if you meet horsemen when you're hiking, the horses have the right of way.  If you're in a group, get everyone off the trail and preferably all off on the same side.  Speak softly to the people as the horses approach and pass.  Don't wave your arms or hiking sticks or anything else.   This helps the horse ID you as a human being not some scary monster.

Joan