[at-l] Horse Plaque---

Jan Lite liteshoe at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 14:42:33 CST 2010

Perhaps the best thing, when there is uncertainty upon meeting a horse,
is to engage the rider in conversation and ask what they think would ease
their horse' mind. A terrified horse in not safe for rider or foot traffic.
Or itself, in some steep/sketchy situations.

Usually, a cooperative spirit goes a long way. However, if you get a tense
scared rider who doesn't feel in control of the situation and fears getting
hurt, you may a sharper response from them than they might intend otherwise.
Fear can make folks snappy.
I'm not excusing rudeness, just pointing out common situations from decades
of observation. Sometimes the kindest thing for the scared rider (and, thus
the horse) is to allow them to direct your movements.

And, as Joan wisely said, don't wave stuff around or get big. Sometimes I've
taken my pack off, so the terrified animal could relax and see I was just
another person.
I know that that sort of accommodation might irritate some hikers, but so be
it. On legal mixed-use trails, we might as well figure out how to co-exist.
YMMV...