[at-l] Horse Plaque---

bluetrail at aol.com bluetrail at aol.com
Thu Jan 14 16:14:12 CST 2010

I can't think of a reason why it would be of any particular advantage to be uphill or downhill when you get off the trail, except maybe if the horse is going to spook, it might be better for the horse and rider to spook uphill rather than down.  (Jan and other riders, do you have any thoughts on this?)  Jan's absolutely right about asking the rider is he/she has a preference where you go.  The reason for a group to get off-trail on the same side is that it does give the horse/rider a kind of option to "fudge" the trail a bit and avoid the scary hikers by inching away some.

If the group is on both sides of the trail, there's no clear exit strategy for the horse, and the hikers on both sides of the trail can look like a gauntlet of scary monsters.  You're easier to skirt around if you're all clumped on one side.  And remember to talk quietly as they pass.  Something like, "I am a hiker and I won't hurt you."  or "Hello' Big'un.  Don't be scared." in sweet tones will do.

And horses (at least the half-Thoroughbred/half-Clydesdale mare I had for 10 years) aren't always as smart as Frank's dog.  About every 5th to 7th time I rode Tinkerbell by the garage where I boarded her, she decided that monsters lived in there.  And this went on for 10 years.

Joan