[at-l] Feedback Please!

Cody Girl codycodygirl at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 09:23:48 CST 2010

Hi everyone.  I know many of you are off to the So Ruck, but for all who are
available, I sure would appreciate your opinion here. I've been out in the
woods for a couple of days, testing  gear  for the upcoming hike, testing
myself, etc.  A few questions.

1.  Campsite selection:  It's around 20 degrees.  Given a choice of mountain
top or a little cove near a stream, which site do you choose and why?
Weather is clear with little wind.

2.  My gear wasn't quite down with the temps.  At 20 degrees, with two pairs
of wool socks, in the bag, full length thermarest, feet propped up on my
pack, with my coat over the bag, my feet were so cold they just hurt.  Any
additional tips on keeping feet warm in cold weather camp, short of carrying
a beefier bag? (I was using a 30 degree bag with a 10 degree liner, so I was
pushing the limit of the gear)  I accept the fact that some nights are just
gonna be cold, but I was sure hoping I would be warmer at 20 degrees.

3.  I managed to hang my foodbag, but was wondering if anyone could point me
to the "right way" to hang a food bag, or a you tube or anything like?  The
one direction I have involves two bags used as counterweight, with no tying
off to a tree and using a stick or trek pole to pull it down the next
morning.  This seems complicated and I didn't follow it.   Also, in hanging
the food bag, is the objective to keep it away from bears only?  or all
critters?  seems like a mouse, etc, could get to it if they wanted to,
regardless.  My few solo backpacks to date have been in the Smokies with
cables at all the campsites so I've never had to address this one on my own
before.

4.  I busted a tent stake, not sure if because I was trying to pound it into
a root, a rock, or plain old frozen dirt, but bust it I did.  A rock worked
fine to anchor the line, but I wouldn't want to have more than one point
under a rock.  Do you carry an extra stake or two on long distance hikes?

That's about it.  I had a great time, cold feet and all!  This was my
coldest night ever out on the woods, at this temp no one was stirring.  It
was absolute stillness.  There was snow on the ground too and ice on the
stream banks, quite beautiful.

Thanks!
Cody