[at-l] Feedback Please!

Ken Bennett bennett.ken at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 09:51:30 CST 2010

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 10:23 AM, Cody Girl <codycodygirl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone.  I know many of you are off to the So Ruck, but for all who
> are available, I sure would appreciate your opinion here. I've been out in
> the woods for a couple of days, testing  gear  for the upcoming hike,
> testing myself, etc.  A few questions.

1. Assuming I have enough warm clothing and a good bag, I would camp at the
top of the mountain. I love watching the sunrise in the morning. If the
weather is bad, of course, I'd choose another site.

2. Down booties = warm feet. Also, the phrase "10 degree liner" is a lie
right up there with "the check is in the mail." Also, if you have a down
jacket, drape it over your torso inside the bag. I can cover from my butt to
my shoulders with my jacket. Finally, if you know you are pushing it on
temperatures, those chemical handwarmer packets are excellent -- throw a
couple in the bottom of your bag.\\

3. The "PCT Method" is somewhat
easier<http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/bear_bag_hanging_technique.html>

4. I've broken tent stakes, so I usually carry an extra titanium tent stake.
Another 1/3 ounce won't kill me.

Glad you had a good time. I love winter camping.

--Ken