[at-l] Feedback Please!

Amy Forinash amy at forinash.net
Fri Jan 15 22:33:08 CST 2010

On Jan 15, 2010, at 7:25 PM, nightwalker.at at gmail.com wrote:

> My sleeping bag is something I won't "try to make work"  (15 degree down). I start with a warm enogh bag and finagle the rest... Been there, done that
>
> HotDog AT 03
> Make that 2 votes for "best bag you can afford." My 30 bag is the same brand as H. Dog's 15 (Mountainsmith). I am comfy in it at 20. My 10 bag is a real Cadillac, and I am comfy in it at zero. The 30 weighs 1.5 pounds. The 10 bag weighs 2.

I've been considering buying a warmer bag but I keep waffling.  I have a 30 degree Montbell at 1 lb 7 oz.  I have a 32 degree down quilt at 13 oz that I've layered inside for cold weather and I was snug as a bug in a rug.  I figure I could save 4 oz at the expense of several hundred dollars.  Yeah I think I'll stick with the layering system..

In 2005 on my section hike, my last night out was really cold.    I'm not sure how cold, exactly, but I made some coffee in the morning, drank it down to a dribble, and set it down.  I reached around behind me for my hankie and picked the mug back up to wipe it out, and the dribble had already frozen.  So it was cold.  (Minnesota level of cold based on my experience. )  I spent the night under two down quilts (my top quilt and the bottom quilt from my hammock) and based on the amount of bitching coming from the rest of the shelter I'd guess I was the warmest person there.

I had a point but I lost it.

-amy