[at-l] places to check the weather

nightwalker.at at gmail.com nightwalker.at at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 12:30:43 CST 2010

From: Felix J <AThiker at smithville.net>

I personally would never carry a weather radio unless I was paid to do so.  Now, I carry a device that has a radio built in (iRiver) so I can listen to the weather if I want. But, a weather-specific radio? No way.
Somehow, I knew that you were going to disagree. You being the guy that doesn't believe in rain gear. I also heard that you carry a 7-foot lightning rod on all high ridges, just in case. :-)

Funny thing abou a weather radio is that when you have one out, everybody crowds around like kids around Santa. There have also been times that I'd hear something like "Severe thunderstorm warning. Flash flood warning. High wind warning" and hear them talk about that nonsense going on until noon, with typical 70%-type rain after that. I'd lay in the tent and read until the crazy weather was over, then get out and enjoy the walk in the normal rain.

Nope. The weather radio always goes.