[at-l] places to check the weather

nightwalker.at at gmail.com nightwalker.at at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 14:25:41 CST 2010

From: Felix J <AThiker at smithville.net>

An even funnier thing about a weather radio is that I've hiked a lot of miles and I don't think I've ever...EVER...seen one on the trail. That
right there tells me it'd be hard to call it 'non-optional'.
Funny thing. I saw three at the same shelter on the same night. I've walked a stupid large amount myself, but the least experienced of the other two weather-radio carriers had a claimed five thrus (I believe him, but not my business). The other one says he has seven thrus and one 2-year split. (Again, I believe him and not my business).

It was 03-17-05 at Hawk Mtn shelter in GA. The other two fellows were B. Jack and L. Wolf. Their many thousands of miles of hiking don't necessarily make them better hikers than you or I, but to me it says something (I don't know what) that the three most experienced hikers there, with probably 30,000+ miles between them, all had those useless little radios and were using them. That was back when I only had a little over 5,000. I used to keep up with that pretty close, but now I just under-guesstimate. I claim 7,000 miles, but it's likely closer to 8,000.

Amy, I think you're going to have to make up your own mind. Of course, we could always take a vote between everyone that's got 5,000+ and see how that goes.

Do you know what huge numbers of miles mean? Nothing more than you've had a lot of time on your hands and you have an obsession. There are probably a decent-sized number of folks on this list that have over 10,000. After all, to do 1,000 per year, it only takes 20 per week. That really isn't a lot.

So, to some people a weather radio is a must-have. To others, it's a waste of five ounces.