[at-l] Wanna sell a dehydrator?

bluetrail at aol.com bluetrail at aol.com
Thu Jan 21 13:27:19 CST 2010

Since I had such great luck at finding a used Stephenson's tent through the list, I thought I'd try again.

I'm looking for a used, very simple dehydrator.  I don't need or want a lot of bells and whistles.   I'm supposed to teach a class about cooking for the out-of-doors and want to give out samples of two salads from recipes taken from Backpacker a while ago.  Unfortunately, I no longer have a dehydrator.

I'm gonna have to get my backpacking buddy Diane to send me the coleslaw recipe, but if anyone wants it, this carrot salad is fabulous!  Really nice if you've been out a couple of days and are craving that fresh veggie taste.  Diane made this one and gave Jon and me a serving on our December backpacking trip. I think we completely skipped the almonds, and the salad was still great.  We didn't measure the water when we reconstituted; we just covered the salad with water, resealed the ziplock and waited about 30 minutes.

Dehydrator Carrot-Pineapple Crunch
1 large lemon’s peel, grated                              1 C. sugar
½ C. fresh lemon juice                          4 large carrots, peeled & shredded
1 8 oz. can crushed pineapple, drained  1 T toasted, slivered almonds

Stir the lemon zest & sugar into the lemon juice in a pan and simmer gently until the sugar is dissolved.  Pour the juice mix over the shredded carrots & pineapple.  Cover the bowl, and marinate for at least 24 hrs.  Then dry in dehydrator.  Package in zip lock bags.  (1/3 C. of dried salad will make a side dish for two people.)  Package almonds separately.
In camp:  Add an equal amount of water to each portion of salad (1/3 C. of water to 1/3 C. salad) and allow to reconstitute for at least half an hour.  Then add almonds.