[at-l] "best" treks around the world

Leslie Booher lbooher at charter.net
Fri Jan 22 09:29:37 CST 2010

I've done #5: Camino de Santiago de Compostella, Spain.  It was great and a totally different experience than the AT.  It's totally civilized, and every little crossroad has a pilgrim fountain (one even has double faucets---one water, one red wine), a church, and an ATM.  Loved it!  Since you don't camp out, it's a very social trail, what with all the hostels and such.  There were storks everywhere watching us as we watched them.  Most of the way, the yellow arrows that marked the way were just painted helter skelter on anything that didn't move.  Since they don't use the arrow pointing up for straight ahead, it made for some awkward navigating, but we got the hang of it.  At the end is the cathedral in Santiago with the incense pot that's so huge it has flames in it when it's swinging, but they swing it only when a tour bus pays $175 (price in 2002) for it.  What's up with that?!  This one is an altogether satisfying hiking experience.  I recommend it.

anklebear

Humankind (be both)