[at-l] "White Gas"

Jim and_or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 22 21:00:18 CST 2010

FrankenQweschunBoxenWalker wrote -

>I've went this far to ask this question: Can you really use clear unleaded gasoline in

>a pinch? I've never ran into anavailability problem, but curiosity has gotten this cat.

>To the best of my knowledge, only BP/Amaco and Hess have clear gasoline, so the

>question may well be moot. I'd also expect this to be a question not answerable by

>the under-50 crowd. :-)

I've used "white gas" several times.  First time was on the AT, coming out of the

Smokies I had to feed my Whisperlite something that vaguely resembled gasoline -

it came out of an old, very rusty gas can and the owner swore it was "white gas".

Not that I believed him, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.  It burned very dirty, but

got me into Hot Springs.

On the CDT there was zero/nada/zip Coleman fuel in Chama. So I filled up with White

gas at the gas station.  The only good thing about it was the price 17 cents to fill the

bottle.  Well, OK - it worked.  That part was good.  But it burned dirty.

There were a couple other times, but not many of them.

Bottom line - I don't recommend it except as a very last resort.  It's dangerous, dirty

and I hate cleaning the pot afterward.

We use alcohol now.  Except in Canada where it's expensive and hard to find.

Walk soflty,

Jim

PS - yeah, I remember the 2004 SoRuck. Good times.  :)

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/