[at-l] "White Gas"

RockDancer rockdancer97 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 23 06:53:06 CST 2010

Perhaps these details were covered in the links provided by Black Wolfe as well but I didn't see it mentioned:

1. Coleman, and similar brand fuels, are filtered/refined to a higher degree than what we put in cars. Therefore not as much residue.

2. The octane rating for "white gas" is about 65 (working here from memory) so heat content is lower than for regular gas (octane 87 to ??). Which is why regular gas is so much more dangerous to handle.

3. Coleman does degrade in the can, no doubt. The very nice outfitter in Daleville (or is it Troutdale?) filled my tank a few years back, it was a post-Gathering hike so I had cold weather. The first fire up clogged my stove and I had to pre-clean my nozzle every time I used the stove until I could rid myself of the bad fuel when I reached Pearisburg.

4. The source of the contamination could well be the lining of the can & our fuel bottles. Providers of AL cans used for this purpose have a plastic coating on the inside, this is also true for Sigg AL bottles, viz. the recent BPA controversy.

This is from a CNN website last October, you can google much more info. http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1932826,00.html#ixzz0dRI90nQe"

"But many consumers are feeling deceived now that the company (Sigg) has been outed for failing to tell the public that its bottles were not BPA-free, at least not the ones that were manufactured before August 2008. The company had boasted that its proprietary plastic liner didn't leach BPA into liquid like other bottles did.

Arthur Gaudet
Lowell, MA
Rockdancer97 at comcast.net
"The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true."