[at-l] "White Gas"

nightwalker.at at gmail.com nightwalker.at at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 07:40:41 CST 2010

Things that I'm learning from all of this
(1) I'm glad that I fiter fuel every time that I pour it in the bottle. I have filtered out chunks of unknown substances and liquid that appears to be some sort of oil. NOT naphtha, for sure. After 13 Winters, I have NEVER had a clog in a liquid fuel stove. I totally attribute that to filtering every ounce of every fuel that has went into my bottles. Or maybe I'm just lucky. :-)
(2) if I do a long hike in the winter away from the AT, I will leave the Simmerlite at home and bring the Whisperlite Internationale. It's heavier, but it only require a jet change to burn K1 kerosene. It does it pretty well, too.
(3) Gasoline vaguely works, but only in an emergency.
(4) some people will freak over anything. BPA in my fuel bottle doesn't bother me nearly as much as accidentally drinking the fuel would.

Am I missing anything else?

I have decided lately to start asking more questions. You're never too experienced to learn something new. You hardly ever learn without asking. And sometimes these threads get legs. :-)

One thing I figured out on my own. These bottles aren't made for alcohol. I had one develop a hole because of that. No idea why, but alcohol eats aluminum.

Frank