[at-l] Snowshoeing VS Hikng

Jim Bullard jim.bullard at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 10:28:59 CST 2010

Frank asked if anyone had snowshoed 20 miles in a day. I responded the I had
hiked 20 miles per day and I had snowshoed but never the two together then I
got wondering what the difference in exertion would be. Having done both
activities I know that snowshoeing is more strenuous. There is a site I
frequent <http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calories.htm> for such
calculations and I went there to check it out. I put in 200# and 60 minutes
as the parameters then figured 2mph to complete the 20 miles totally 10
hours. The result was 6670 calories burning backpacking vs 7620 calories for
snowshoeing or 14.24% more energy required for snowshoeing. So if you try
it... take extra food.

P.S. I'm not clear how they calculate the energy burned (something to do
with oxygen consumption I think) but I notice the, some though not all, of
the activities are tagged "Taylor Code". I've tried without success to find
out what that refers to. Anyone know?

Jim Bullard
http://jims-ramblings.blogspot.com/
http://www.photoshelter.com/c/jim_bullard