[at-l] Snowshoeing VS Hikng

Jim Bullard jim.bullard at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 11:40:32 CST 2010

I will add the caveat that the calorie burn calculator only listed "snow
shoeing" without reference to whether the person(s) so engaged were also
carrying a backpack. For the "backpacking" calculation I used the specific
term from their list but again it did not specify how much pack weight,
level trail vs climbing, etc. There are a lot of variables however I was
simply checking one base activity against another. Based on my own
experience, I would expect an even higher increase in calorie burn for
snowshoeing but I prefer to break trail. I find snowshoeing on firmly packed
trails to be somewhat boring and the snowshoes only make for clumsy walking
which I suppose would increase calorie burn slightly over walking without
snowshoes. Unfortunately the only variables the calculator accepts are the
weight of the person and the duration.

Jim Bullard
http://jims-ramblings.blogspot.com/
http://www.photoshelter.com/c/jim_bullard