[at-l] Snowshoeing VS Hikng

Lee Parker l.clayton.parker at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 17:20:37 CST 2010

Perhaps it is just me, but I have never managed to make 20 miles in one day
on snowshoes. I suspect their calculator is flawed. Or perhaps it is just
the assumptions.

For parameters, lets look at this: I weigh 170 lbs more or less, my winter
mountaineering pack with all the appropriate gear weighs 45 lbs, less
snowshoes. My snowshoes and crampons weigh about 5 lbs total and the plastic
bots another 5 lbs. So that it more like 225 lbs, with 5 of it directly
attached to my feet (it does make a difference). My summer pack on the other
hand weighs 27 lbs for the same trip length, for a total of 197 lbs. Not
even going to get into the clothing.

The major difference is in hiking style, you cannot huff and puff till you
are covered in sweat. My experience has been that in the mountains in deep
snow one mile per hour is about the average. It is possible to go faster,
but not likely.

Lee I Joe

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 11:28 AM, Jim Bullard <jim.bullard at gmail.com> wrote:

> Frank asked if anyone had snowshoed 20 miles in a day. I responded the I
> had hiked 20 miles per day and I had snowshoed but never the two together
> then I got wondering what the difference in exertion would be. Having done
> both activities I know that snowshoeing is more strenuous. There is a site I
> frequent <http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calories.htm> for such
> calculations and I went there to check it out. I put in 200# and 60 minutes
> as the parameters then figured 2mph to complete the 20 miles totally 10
> hours. The result was 6670 calories burning backpacking vs 7620 calories for
> snowshoeing or 14.24% more energy required for snowshoeing. So if you try
> it... take extra food.
>
> P.S. I'm not clear how they calculate the energy burned (something to do
> with oxygen consumption I think) but I notice the, some though not all, of
> the activities are tagged "Taylor Code". I've tried without success to find
> out what that refers to. Anyone know?
>
> Jim Bullard
> http://jims-ramblings.blogspot.com/
> http://members.photoportfolios.net/Jim_Bullard
> http://www.photoshelter.com/c/jim_bullard

"There is a fine line between genius and insanity. I've just erased it."