[at-l] Snowshoeing VS Hikng

Jim Bullard jim.bullard at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 18:02:46 CST 2010

The 2 mph was an assumption on my part. The calculator does not take speed
into account on eiither the backpacking or snowshoeing activities, only user
body weight and time involved in the activity. The snowshoeing entry does
not indicate whether they allowed for carrying a backpack. I assume not. As
such it is admittedly a guesstimate. There are a lot of other considerations
which could/would affect the total calorie burn from either activity.

In running that calculation I was only looking for a base comparison of the
activities in terms of relative energy required. I arbitrarily chose 2mph
figuring 10 hours to do 20 miles. I did not intend to imply that one could
or should snowshoe at 2mph for 10 hours. My own snowshoeing with a pack
involves substantially less weight than you carry; my camera, some emergency
clothing/supplies and trail maintenance tools (bow saw & brush axe). I've
never weighed it but it probably isn't over 15#. With that I can cover 2.5
miles in about 90 minutes (not counting stops for photos and/or trail work).
A couple of folks have indicated that they thought snowshoeing was easier
than backpacking. Perhaps for them, the way they do it, it is. That hasn't
been my experience possibly because I spend a lot of my snowshoe time
breaking trail. As you observe, the extra weigh attached to your feet makes
a difference especially if you are in deep soft snow.

Jim Bullard
http://jims-ramblings.blogspot.com/
http://www.photoshelter.com/c/jim_bullard