[at-l] OT - Freedom of Speech was Snowshoeing VS Hiking

David Addleton dfaddleton at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 19:47:40 CST 2010

Clyde, the small, closely held corporation is a different animal
altogether from the trans-national behemoth that answers to no nation
anywhere on the globe. Problem is our law don't distinguish between
the mom & pop landscaping business and the trans-national giants.

Remember this: while the bill of rights constrains our democratically
elected government to protect individual liberties, corporations
(inc's, llc's, ltd's, etc, etc, etc) suffer under no such restraints:
you and I and corporations have the right, protected by our laws, to
prohibit you from practicing your religion, reading what you want,
viewing what you want, publishing what you want, talking about what
you wish to talk about, bearing arms, etc; we have the right,
protected by our laws, to treat some individuals differently than
other individuals for any reason, and for prohibited reasons (race,
gender, national origin, religion, color, veteran's status,
disability, etc., if we can articulate a nondiscriminatory rationale
for the disparate treatment); we have the right to promulgate laws and
regulations governing your behavior and your thoughts and to hold you
accountable, without due process, and without counsel, for any reason.
While all this is true also for a natural, real person, there's one
important difference: a corporation cannot be held accountable for
violating a criminal law because there is no "person" whose liberty or
life may be diminished or taken to pay for such violations. Thus,
while corporations and individuals both have a right to organize
police and military to carry out their intentions, only an individual
can face a tribunal for treason, terrorism, or murder. Among
individuals, the only ones I know who organize police and military
forces are the so-called illegal drug king-pens; corporate "security"
forces, however, continue to grow in popularity. Thus, Amtrack, the
Federal Reserve, and private university police forces, for example,
are not constrained by the Bill of Rights. (This is also why our own
government can hire Blackwater mercenaries to avoid constitutional
constraints.)

I have not yet read the recent SCOTUS opinion. Notwithstanding, I see
NO REASON why a "virtual, de jure" person such a corporation, which
positive, statutory law created, cannot have its activities
constitutionally limited and circumscribed by the positive, statutory
law that created them, nor why they should receive **any** protections
under the Bill of Rights, except those expressly, by the creating law,
afforded to them. And, I see good policy reasons for limiting the
activities of corporate organizations.