[at-l] surprise email

RockDancer rockdancer97 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 24 22:58:19 CST 2010

I was surprised, tonight, to get an email from my sister saying she's been in Haiti since yesterday morning. After 2 days of doing surgery duty (assisting) she's excited and horrified at what she is dealing with. I expect she'll be returning in about a week.

Good for my sister, for stepping outside her comfort zone! She's never seen poverty, or misery or dealt with more than incidental discomforts that were transitory. If she had let me know I may have offered some camping gear to help with those issues but I imagine the crew are being cared for pretty well.

She's already seen a number of crush injuries, assisted with a lot of amputations. One comment she made: the relatives of the patients are coming to the facility with food for the patient. Seems like the family members are responsible in some way for their care and feeding. Many are small children.

I thought the list might like to know about this. For me it makes what's happening in Haiti a lot more personal.

Arthur Gaudet
Lowell, MA
Rockdancer97 at comcast.net
"The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true."