[at-l] What Kind of Stove to take on the AT

Tom McGinnis sloetoe at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 13 18:10:43 CDT 2010

--- On Tue, 7/13/10, Felix J <AThiker at smithville.net> wrote:

> Frank Looper wrote:
> > Red HEET is just isopropyl alcohol. It only does well
> in stoves which have wicks. Otherwise, too many flare-ups and too much
> smoke.
>
> I'm not sure that's the case. Where's Sloetoe!?!  I
> think the red HEET
> has a petroleum product added to it.

### Okay, so, my rule is simple -- since the bottles and the labels and the brands change like Auntie's underwear, I just (and ONLY) look at the back label for the poison control -- no matter if it's clear, green-like-antifreeze, red, yellow, etc, if it sez "Caution! Contains Petroleum Distillates!" I put it back. If it sez "Caution! Contains Methyl Alcohol!" then I'm good to go. (Literally!)

If it sez "Caution! Contains Isopropyl Alcohol!" I curse the evils of marketing, but take note of where the stinking stuff is at, in case there's no methyl anywhere else in town.

The poison-control sticker has never done me wrong.

nochemistbuticanuseaccelerantlikeonetoe